Premium Colored Mulch and Bark
Call today for Bulk order Discounts
*Our new Bark Screening plant is up and running. We are screening 4 sizes of Bark products. We will have oversize nuggets, large nuggets (1 1/2- 2 1/2”), Medium Nuggets (1-1 1/2”), Small Nuggets (3/8”-1”) and Bark Fines (3/8” minus). Elkhorn Premium Landscape Products come in small bags, large bulk bags or bulk. The small bags are 2 CF and come 40/pallet. Large bulk bags contain 1.5 CY of material and are palletized. Order by full truckload of 22 pallets for best pricing. Bulk Products can be delivered in our 40 CY truck or 125 CY live bottom truck. Call today for pricing.
Above pictures are the new plant being assembled.
Our bark nuggets add to your landscape project and has minimal upkeep. Additionally, bark nuggets protect and enhance your landscape by insulating roots and bulbs from extreme temperatures, encouraging earthworm production, preventing erosion, inhibiting weeds and conserving water. We over in bagged and bulk.
About our mulch
Our Montana-made bagged mulch is 100% natural forest by-products made from Montana’s renewable natural resources. Long lasting with vibrant color, this mulch comes in 3 highly resistant to fading colors (Chocolate Brown, Ameri-Red, Ultra Triple Black and Natural). We can deliver in bulk or you can buy in 2 cu. ft. bags. The mulch is beneficial to plants and has great color holding capacity. Our mulches are colored using Amerimulch brand colorants. Amerimulch colorants are safe for children, pets, plants and they use some of the same materials in their colorant that other companies use in lipsticks, cosmetics and food containers.
How Much Color Enhanced Mulch or Bark Do I Need?
Click the Mulch Calculator to figure how much mulch you will need.
Beneficial to Plants
Elkhorn Landscape Products color enhanced mulches provide many of the same benefits as regular bark mulches. They allow rain water to get to the soil below, while helping to prevent water loss due to evaporation during dry weather. In addition, color enhanced mulches deter weed growth and benefit the plants’ root systems by helping to maintain a moderate soil temperature.
Long Lasting Vibrant Color
The biggest selling point of this product is its color-holding capacity. Elkhorn Landscape mulches colored with Amerimulch brand colorants don’t just look great when they are spread in the spring! They hold their colors for seasons. The colorants used are highly resistant to UV fading from exposure to the sun, and do not wash off in the elements. The wood will deteriorate away before the color stops adhering to the fiber.
Elkhorn Landscape mulches look great along the house or under the trees. The vibrant color choices include red, brown, black and natural. Our mulches take on a robust, colorful appearance that improves the visual appeal of the entire area by adding consistently colored, contrasting or complementing shades of ground cover.
Safe for Children and Pets
Elkhorn Landscape mulches are produced with Amerimulch colorants which are safe for uses around the home. Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that color enhanced mulches present no more concern than natural mulches. Marks Lumber and Amerimulch understand the risks involved with heavy metals and VOCs, and avoid using any hazardous or threatening materials in our products. Our colorants are made from the same materials that are used in lipsticks, cosmetics and food containers.
100% Natural Forest By-Products
Other mulches may be made from oily pallets and/or other dirty materials, Elkhorn Premium Landscape Products are made from 100% natural forest by-products. In the logging and sawing process of the logs and boards there is a lot of material that doesn’t make quality lumber or are by-products of the process. Marks Lumber then grinds this waste to make their Elkhorn landscape products. This keeps scrap wood out of the landfills and helps our environment. Our SFI certified loggers use environmentally sound forestry practices in the logging of our material. We are also grinding the beetle killed trees of Montana for our mulch, which helps prevent forest fires and helps to maintain a healthy forest.
Follow these 10 steps, to maximize the aesthetic value of your colored mulch
- Kill Weeds: Spray all weeds with weed killer 1 to 2 weeks prior to mulching. This allows weeds to completely die, making them much easier to pull.
- Trim Trees and Bushes: Because of the debris produced, be sure to trim trees and bushes before applying new mulch.
- Clean Out Mulch Beds: Remove all dead leaves, weeds and trimmings with a rake.
- Cultivate: Use a roto-tiller or hand cultivator to loosen any compacted soil or mulch. This allows moisture and air to pass through the mulch easier.
- Edge Your Beds: Landscapes with clean edges enhance the appearance and give it a professional look.
- Rake Smooth: Use a stiff rake to smooth all surfaces to be mulched.
- Apply a Pre-Emergent: This is the time to prevent weed seeds. Apply the pre-emergent before mulching. A second application later further ensures protection from weed seeds.
- It’s Time to Mulch: Using your hands or a rake, apply new mulch over the cultivated mulch or soil. Spread evenly to your desired thickness depending on your budget or taste. When complete, water to moisturize mulch and settle it into place.
- Mulch Maintenance: After a month or so, check mulch for compaction. If it’s compacted use a garden claw or cultivator to loosen. This allows water and air to pass, which helps prevent growth of fungus and restores appearance.
- Fungus: If present, remove it and the surrounding mulch. Rake existing mulch to cover the area. Then water thoroughly. Fungus is a sure sign that your mulch has compacted and your beds have dehydrated; cultivation and watering may be necessary.
Links to Retailers whom carry our products in your area.
Rocky Mountain Supply – Belgrade, Townsend, Ennis, Dillon
Owenhouse Hardware - Bozeman
Valley Farms – Helena
Korpi Nursery & Design – Helena
Cashman Nursery – Bozeman
Western Building Center – Kalispell
Earthworks Nursery - Butte